I have been at my current workplace ever since Oct 2000. With the constant juggling of trying to strike a balance, what I now know is enough to tell my kids to change jobs every 4 years. The rest of the wisdom may or may not be applicable to them.
What I learnt for myself is:
- Don't ever get comfortable being in one place unless that's where you want to be till you retire.
- Make a conscious decision to pursue what you want and learn to live with the consequences of your choice.
- Making friends through life helps. A LOT! At work too, you need friends to get you through those rough phases and of course to enjoy those good moments too.
- Follow your heart. But make sure your head is in the right place before you let your heart take the reins.
- Make your own mistakes. Don't make mine or someone else's. If you do happen to do so, well I told you so. Now you know! (Typical immature selfish me speaking here!)
- Do what you love to do and make it pay for you.
- Most of all, be you. No one can take you away from you unless you let them. Change for the better always.
(Blogging is not a remedy for chasing drowsiness away).