Skip to main content

Being a 10 year old is not easy

Joel got into his first physical fight yesterday. As in some disagreements, it started with a game rule/strategy disagreement, which led to more words, heated exchanges, head whacks, shoves, pushes and a head (Joel's) getting knocked into a pole.

I'm relieved that neither of the boys in the fight had any severe injury. I'm upset that this incident took place.

A culmination of feelings, upbringing, circumstances and of course their own understanding of how to deal with, what they perceived as, injustice is what I learned from the whole incident. I tried to recollect about what I did as a 10 year old and gather wisdom from that time. I remembered a few fights that I got into and the injustice I felt that was meted out to me. I recollected what my parents did. I'm glad I haven't lost my cool with my son (as my mom did with me) but yes, he was given a piece of mind softly but firmly.

The other kid didn't have it so easy. This morning I was heartbroken to see him in his shell, trying to disappear, crying. I hope that I was able to soothe his hurt feelings, of being yelled at by his mom, a bit by expressing that even though upset his mother still loved him just as much as I loved Joel. Neither of us were happy about yesterday but it would be great if the incident didn't occur again. Have good healthy fun and try resolving issues with words rather than physical fights.

Worried about what the future holds for my children. Not worried on the front that I will be with my children to guide them to being better individuals and spread a positive presence.

Joel has gone to school smiling and hopefully with a friend for life.

Sometimes things happen to open your eyes to what you have been blind to. I'm glad and thank God, that He opened mine. I have 2 beautiful souls in my hands. I hope and pray that I can help keep that beauty intact.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 years

Didn't actually realise that it was 5 years since I last used this space. To capture moments and the essence of these years, at the moment, looks like a huge task. Let's see .. - my parents are older, - new relationships appear, a few relationships gone cold, - my children are no more babies (though they loved being called 'my babies' :-)), - role change at work but not much difference in what I do, - the urge to get away from routine is stronger, - I have a new phone (yes, again. This one gifted to me though), - more reading on gadgets than books and paper, - discovering things to do with what most of us would consider waste - meet ups and reunions - more birthdays and occassions to remember - trying to balance virtual social and professional networks (sorry state I've reached) - I became an aunt to the 2 of the most cute little boys, godmother to one of them - Facebook has a way of reminding you what you did in your past years. So happy it is not a c

Achy breaky heart

Memories are a blessing and a curse. It's natural to shy away from the bad ones. When a happy one gets tainted, that's a bit difficult to digest. Then, there are the people associated with a memory or form a part of it. Thankful for aches. I'm still living ☺