Skip to main content

Memories of Samavesh - Part 2

Venue for the band was Food Court (FC) 2. Could hear a few songs on my walk to the FC. Jitters again. I reached there in time to hear the introduction to judges as well as know the judging criteria. Attitude on stage was one of them. Now how does one do that while playing a keyboard? Oh well! I'd leave that to fellow band members. We were no. 6 in the list and each performance before ours made me think I shouldn't go up there.

YANTRA (Yet Another Night To Rock Away) performing

I was right. I messed up the first song's scale. After that, I went into this auto pilot mode and just played. It didn't sound the way I wanted it to. But hey! it's not for lack of trying to get the blessed organisers to give us a slot to practice which wasn't after midnight or trying to practice with no sound. One of the lead singers was low. And it's because me his song got messed up. How does one explain that and the fact that not a single other band member made it to the sound check that morning.


Meeting 3 people after the event and each asking me the same questions made me feel like I was responsible for the whole mess. I felt real rotten. Met Giri and his wife, Latha too. And I couldn't keep up a pleasant face. So excused myself and headed out of the campus. Thanks to Ashwin being around that Sat. We headed to the lake so that I could have my 'water therapy'. We walked the entire distance around the lake. By the end of it all, I was back to normal but still in no mood to face the music. Thought of heading to some other place when Giri called.


I owed Giri and Latha an apology. So Ashwin and I headed to Cubs, a nice little pastry corner, and met Giri and Latha there. I don't remember how long we sat there, but I remember that the conversation never stopped, neither did we stop smiling or laughing throughout.


By the time we parted ways, I felt good as new. But there was this one side of me that never wanted the night to end. So bull dozed Ashwin into promising that we go to Hookah or Purple Haze if he completed his personal work by 10 that night.

By the time I was back on campus, Samavesh's DJ night had begun. Located my team mates and joined in the dancing. The DJ was good. Though I don't understand why DJ's keep playing Hindi or regional songs only. Very few English numbers.

By the end of the DJ night, Ashwin was through with his work. And we headed off to Hookah. My first time to a disc. I wasn't sure of what to expect. Low lights and all yes. But the smell of cigarettes threw me off completely. Once inside, the place got my attention. A football match on the TV, folks sitting along the bar side and opposite, a crowd on the dance floor, pleasant temperature, and the waiters dressed as Egyptian as they could get.
Left Ashwin to handle the drinks and the food since he was a regular there. It took me a while to get used to the place and let myself flow with the music. This time a good mix of Hindi and English songs were played. Some I hadn't heard in ages too.
I guess Hookah would be the best memory of Samavesh 2008 for me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 years

Didn't actually realise that it was 5 years since I last used this space. To capture moments and the essence of these years, at the moment, looks like a huge task. Let's see .. - my parents are older, - new relationships appear, a few relationships gone cold, - my children are no more babies (though they loved being called 'my babies' :-)), - role change at work but not much difference in what I do, - the urge to get away from routine is stronger, - I have a new phone (yes, again. This one gifted to me though), - more reading on gadgets than books and paper, - discovering things to do with what most of us would consider waste - meet ups and reunions - more birthdays and occassions to remember - trying to balance virtual social and professional networks (sorry state I've reached) - I became an aunt to the 2 of the most cute little boys, godmother to one of them - Facebook has a way of reminding you what you did in your past years. So happy it is not a c

Achy breaky heart

Memories are a blessing and a curse. It's natural to shy away from the bad ones. When a happy one gets tainted, that's a bit difficult to digest. Then, there are the people associated with a memory or form a part of it. Thankful for aches. I'm still living ☺